Upcoming Workshops | About | Resources
Upcoming 2018 Workshops
Registration Open for:
Putting Social Media to Work for Your Outreach Program (Webinar):
- Thursday, April 19, 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Friday, April 20, 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
How can church outreach programs and nonprofits benefit from using social media? What social media platforms should your program be using and how do they work? In this hour-long webinar, participants will learn how to use social media to further their mission online. Topics covered will include:
- The basics of Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- The most effective ways to post on social media
- How to determine which social media platforms are most appropriate for your program
- How to use social media to connect with your supporters and with other programs
Creating an Inclusive Youth Program
- Thursday, May 17, 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. at Diocesan House, 1047 Amsterdam Ave., Manhattan
- Saturday, May 19, 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. at St. Paul’s Church, 151 Mansion St, Poughkeepsie
Led by Luis Tapia of Ramapo for Children, this workshop will introduce staff and volunteers of academic enrichment, arts, summer recreation, and other youth outreach programs to the possibilities, challenges and benefits of including children with a variety of needs and abilities. Using hands-on experiential activities, reflection questions, case studies and role plays, participants will explore strategies to support and include young people with sensory, communication, learning and/or social-emotional challenges, and learn specific tools such as:
- Decoding behavior into feelings
- Developing tools for self-management
- Utilizing non-verbal communication and visuals
Volunteer Management: Essential Ingredients and Successful Recipes for Volunteer Engagement (Webinar)
- Thursday, June 7, 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, June 13, 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
Presented by Olivia Núñez, Senior Director of Community Engagement at the GO Project, Inc. and Rachel Crosby, Episcopal Charities’ Volunteer Coordinator, this workshop will offer staff and volunteers of outreach programs strategies and tools to recruit, manage, and retain volunteers. In this hour-long webinar, participants will learn to:
- Understand how to brand your organization’s volunteerism for greater visibility & impact
- Ensure alignment between organizational needs and volunteer interests/strengths
- Recognize and retain your strongest volunteers
- Identify existing and potential partnerships that can further your organization’s mission
- Utilize Episcopal Charities’ new volunteer matching service to recruit more volunteers, including those with specialized skills
It’s Not Just About Food: Taking Your Feeding Program to the Next Level
- Saturday, September 15, 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. at St. Paul’s Church, 151 Mansion St, Poughkeepsie
- Thursday, September 20, 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. at West Side Campaign Against Hunger, 263 W 86th St, Manhattan
In this workshop, staff from the West Side Campaign Against Hunger, the largest food pantry in NYC and the first in the nation to offer a grocery-store style “choice” model will offer tips on how to increase your program’s capacity to meet the needs of your customers and address the root causes hunger. Staff and volunteers of parish food pantries, community kitchens, and brown-bag programs will learn to:
- Foster a culture of respect and dignity
- Increase resources to balance your budget
- Connect customers with the benefits to which they’re entitled
- Engage customers in program operations and governance
Building Your Development Plan
- Thursday, October 11, 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. at Diocesan House, 1047 Amsterdam Ave, Manhattan
- Saturday, October 13, 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. at Christ Church, 20 Carroll St, Poughkeepsie
Fundraising can seem overwhelming, especially if you are unsure where to start. Developing a clear plan provides direction for your work and clarifies lines of responsibility. Whether your program has staff members or you are completely volunteer-driven, a development plan is the key to securing the funds you need to serve.
Episcopal Charities’ Director of Development Henry Enright will lead a workshop filled with tips and examples on creating a new development plan, or honing your existing plan. Through hands-on activities, handouts, and the benefit of all the experience in the room, you will walk away with the tools to focus your fundraising.
We offer a series of professional development workshops for parish-based and parish-supported outreach programs in the Episcopal Diocese of New York. These sessions provide a forum in which to network, ask questions, gain valuable resources, and learn from experts in the field – all with the goal of increasing program sustainability. Clergy, program directors, and volunteers are all invited to participate.
Programs receiving Episcopal Charities’ grants are required to attend at least two workshops per year. The 2017 schedule includes both webinars and in-person trainings. In-person workshops are held in Poughkeepsie as well as Manhattan.
Click here to find resources from past workshops.
Find blog posts related to the Sustainability Institute here.