ABOUT | APPLICATION CHECKLIST | SUBMIT APPLICATION | NEED HELP?
Each year in September, Episcopal Charities begins accepting applications for the Basic Human Needs grant cycle. The application deadline is the first Friday of October, this year Friday, October 4, 2019.
Applicants will be notified of decisions in late January. To see the list of programs receiving Basic Human Needs grants for 2018, click here.
Grants are disbursed in two payments (March and September).
About Basic Human Needs Grants
Basic Human Needs (BHN) grants support parish-based human services programs that address the specific needs of diverse communities throughout the diocese, including:
- Community Kitchens and Food Pantries
- Health and Wellness, including eldercare, addiction and recovery issues, homeless shelters and more
- Skills-Building, including English as a second language classes, job skills training, re-entry assistance for the formerly incarcerated, and more.
Episcopal Charities awarded Basic Human Needs grants totaling $586,300 to 59 outreach programs in 2018. Current grantees are listed in the categories linked above.
Check our eligibility requirements to see if your organization or project is eligible for a grant.
Application Checklist and Attachments
- Check our eligibility requirements to see if your organization or project is eligible for a grant.
- First time applicant? Register for a New Grantseekers Webinar.
- Fill out an Intent to Apply form by midnight on Friday, September 13, 2019 (link will be available August of 2019).
- We use an online application system. We will begin accepting applications in August of 2019.
- Download this document to preview questions asked on the online form.
- Download a copy of our budget form.
- Download our grant-writing tips.
- Learn about our policies regarding sexual misconduct and abuse prevention.
- Submit your 2020 BHN grant application by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, October 4, 2019.
Submitting a Grant Application
Applications must be received by 5:00 pm on Friday, October 4, 2019.
Grants must be submitted using our user-friendly, online application system. All necessary attachments should be uploaded through the online system. A return email will be sent automatically to confirm receipt. Please note that the system is not compatible with Internet Explorer – please use the latest versions of Firefox, Safari, or Chrome instead.
If you experience technical difficulties completing the application, or need additional assistance, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 212-932-7354. We will respond within 1 business day.
If necessary, applicants may save a draft of their application and return to complete it. However, please note that access to the application will automatically shut off at 5:00pm on Friday, October 4, 2019. We will not be able to accept applications beyond that time.
Episcopal Charities requires that first-time applicants attend an orientation session. Register here. Topics covered include:
• Overview of our grant‐making process
• Grant application walk‐through
• Grants Management
Frequently asked questions are addressed here.
Our staff can arrange to review a draft of your application if submitted at least three weeks before the deadline. This review will help you revise the proposal, if needed, and submit a complete application. However, this staff review does not guarantee that your proposal will be funded.
Contact Leeanna Varga, Director of Programs for assistance at email@example.com or 212-316-7426.